Sunday, March 11, 2012

Slow Motion

My sister had a baby girl a few weeks ago.  I stopped in to see them both this afternoon and experienced the wonderful slow motion that holding a very small baby sometimes creates.  Perhaps this sense of a time warp comes because I regret that mine are so big, so fast - and it is almost hard to believe they were ever as small as my niece is.

I found holding baby Laine to be a truly sensory experience.  The soft plumpness of her cheek, the wisp of blond hair on the top of her head, the sweet smell of powder and warmth, I basked in these details.  She's a squirm-er and pretty vocal about things. Not once did her eyes open, but she stretched and huffed and puffed. The sweetest meow sounds came from her mouth, and her legs pushed in and out often.  

Because she was born a few weeks early, she is very small.  When I first held her (5 lbs, 5 oz's) I was truly fearful of squishing or dropping her.  Today she is a more solid 6 lbs, 10 oz's and I had no qualms about holding her.  When I gave her back to my sister, however, my arm ached.  Out of practice, I guess. 

I could have sat there for hours watching her and talking to my sister about how crazy wonderful it is that she is a mom.  But, reality texted me - and reminded me that my own 12 and 15 year old babies were working on homework and needed help and food.  Wistfully, I handed Laine back to her mom and dad and headed back into the fray!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet baby moments! Thanks for sharing and reminding us of that feeling.

    "She's a squirmer" reminded me of what my mom said about my duaghter..."a mover and shaker."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your sensory details - "The soft plumpness of her cheek, the wisp of blond hair on the top of her head, the sweet smell of powder and warmth," and I can't wait to meet a new great niece during Spring Break. I also loved your line, "reality texted me."
    Great capture of your time with baby Laine and what a gift to give her someday!

    ReplyDelete