Friday, March 16, 2012

An Amazing Evening

Paddy Maloney, of The Chieftains, played his "tin whistle" in a merry Irish jig and gradually the rest of the band quieted until just the sharp, lilting tune pierced the ears of the audience at the Kennedy Center Concert hall.  Only then did I hear the thrumming of a regular beat keeping time with the whistle.  I  stared  at all of the instruments on stage, but not one other was playing, just the whistle.  Who was keeping time?  Where was the rhythm coming from?  A movement drew my eyes, and I glanced left. Patrick's knee was bouncing in time, my Dad's knee was bouncing in time, and my Mom's knee was as well.  It was then that I realized that the traditional Irish Folk music was working its magic on the crowd and it was feet tapping that accompanied the lone tin whistle. It wasn't much longer until we were all standing up stomping and clapping what felt like an age-old rhythm.

Rebecca said on the way home, "Mom, I could feel that music all the way to my heart!"  I could too, Rebecca, I could too.

 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That was written so well! I was right there with you the whole time, almost hearing the music and wanting to tap along. What a great night and a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that line - I could feel the music all the way to my heart! I am a new drummer and that one really resonates with me. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete