Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Brace Myself...

The cast was removed today!  X-rays showed that my broken arm is healing pretty well, so I had a choice: new cast for the last couple of weeks, or a brace, whose bonus was that I can remove it to shower. 

No choice, as far as I'm concerned.  The itchy, peeling skin emerging from the cast has been absolutely disgusting, not to mention the waft of unwashed arm that I have occasionally gotten (although with increasing frequency in the last week.)  Remove it to shower?  I haven't been more enticed since...well, in a long time. 

The vibrating saw split the cast easily, and scissors took care of the fabric arm protector.  Freed from its captivity and my arm somewhat misshapen, I rubbed for the sheer joy of feeling sensations there.  Until I realized that I was shedding dead skin all over.  The nurse laughed and directed me to the sink for a lovely scrub with soap.  After five minutes or so she said, "Hon, you're not going to get it all off now.  It'll take a few days."  I stopped scrubbing, but ran the warm water over the arm surreptitiously for a few more minutes. 

Technology is amazing.  The nurse called to me a few seconds later saying that the brace was baking, it should be done in a few minutes and to hang tight.  HUH?  She came in then with an Exos Brace which after being heated is formed around the broken bones to provide a comfortable fit and protection from movement.  She demo'd how to get the brace on and off - and reminded me that this was essentially a removable cast - I'm still not supposed to be doing a lot with the arm.

I'll have to keep working on that.  In the meantime, if you can't find me, I'll be washing my arm.

3 comments:

  1. I bet that was a no-brainer decision for you! I loved reading about how you made it, how you couldn't quit washing your arm at the doctor, and how you the new brace works. Enjoy your relative freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are healing, but even more glad for you that you can shower and keep scrubbing that arm! I bet it felt soooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea! I bet you're feeling "lighter" already! :)
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete