Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Cast Impressions, cont.

The reality is, despite my enthusiasm, having a cast is a big pain.

My mother-in-law called me a couple of days into my life with a cast.  She was calling to give me some advice.  "Ellen," she said quietly, "you will have to allow some people to help you, you know.  I broke my arm years ago, and hurt it by rolling up the car window.  I was so proud."  Her words struck a chord and my eyes welled up with tears; I was already struggling with having to ask for help.  "I've got to run.  Take care," she said and quickly hung up.  I held the phone away from my ear, a little frustrated and a lot worried. I've joked with my family about willingly giving up control of many aspects of my world - often - how happy would I be give up laundry?  The reality is, though, that my identity is wrapped up in many of those things that were going to be hard for me to do for the next six weeks.

Who knew that I would miss doing the dishes?  I'm not obsessive about having a clean kitchen, but I do like to have the dishes clean and the counters wiped up before I go to bed.  The first week and a half my family and I struggled around whose responsibility it was to do the dishes. Initially, I ran the water in the dishpan and loaded the dishwasher in the hopes that someone would take a hint.  Then, after waking up multiple mornings to dirty dishes in the sink, I began to consider other options.  I finally decided that my mother-in-law was correct, I was going to have to ask for help with this one.  If my spouse had cooked dinner (which happens daily; I know, lucky, right??) then he shouldn't have to wash dishes...and in fact, isn't it time for my fifteen and twelve year-old children to learn how to clean up the kitchen?  Aha, having a broken arm would be a good learning experience for the kids...brilliant!  So, now I have my clean kitchen in the morning when I wake up.  However, I have had to mediate the process of deciding who is washing each evening.  I know now why I have done this myself for so long...

Asking for help has never been easy.  There are a lot of things that I have just had to modify for myself in order to make them happen.  Typing, for example.  Everyone was so glad for me that I broke my left hand...I'm right-handed.  But, the reality is I don't write much - I type lots...with both hands.  The doctor asked if I was going to need any accommodations or help at work; hmm - a secretary?  Not happening.  So, my left hand perches awkwardly over the keyboard and the fingers stretch out sporadically to hit those keys on the left hand side.  I've found myself typing right-handed and resting my left hand to reduce the pressure and swelling...I'm getting better at texting, but typing one handed is slow!

The end is in sight, though.  Next week I will have this cast removed, a new set of x-rays to confirm I'm healing, and hopefully the opportunity to wash the stinky, shedding arm really well!  Then, back on with another cast for the final two weeks.  Right before spring break I should be cast free - and very appreciative for all of the help that has been given!

1 comment:

  1. Ellen! My heart goes out to you for the many layers of your slice, i.e. dish duty, the need to type, general cast annoyance. I am counting the days right along with you. As for the kids doing the dishes, no need to pick up where you left off. Consider the baton passed.

    ReplyDelete