Sunday, March 1, 2015

Perfect Beginnings, Again


Sleet taps on the roof and windows.  The slate gray sky spits the occasional snowflake out among the icy pellets. With the family beagle snoring by my side, I sit down to begin the Slice of Life Challenge.  

There is something very comfortable about joining this community of writers again.  I look forward to getting a glimpse into the lives of the people who participate, reading about pets and family members, life's challenges and joys.  I have giggled hysterically at your stories, and cried with you at some of the life twists you experience.  I have learned from each of you.

Every year I take a few minutes to go back and read some of my past Slices, and I reflect on how things in my life have changed...and just how many times I write during this Challenge about similar topics. Irish dancing dominates much of my life most of the year, but it is an especially large part of my life and my posts during the month of March - as I spend most of my free time driving child #2 to St. Patrick's Day performances, parades and extra classes, observing her drive and commitment. Another theme that resonates through past posts is "the challenge of parenting".  I've written plenty about being a mother, spouse and working parent.  This year I imagine those posts that address this theme may have a poignancy, as I prepare to send child #1, incredibly smart, introverted and strongly opinionated, to college in the fall. 

So, during this year's slices I am going to strive to focus on the positive as well as seeking an authentic voice in my writing. There are some slices that I've written in which that voice comes easily - and sounds like me - others I truly struggle with - and these posts sound more forced when I reread.

Looking forward to it...

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a terrific goal! And you have a good start with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your goal of seeking your authentic voice resonates with me! This is the first SOL Challenge that I'm participating in and I'm know I'm going to have to get out of my own way to experiments with various topics and let my voice be heard! Thanks for your honest reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your goal of seeking your authentic voice resonates with me! This is the first SOL Challenge that I'm participating in and I'm know I'm going to have to get out of my own way to experiments with various topics and let my voice be heard! Thanks for your honest reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is fun to read each others writing and listen to all the voices. I can also tell in my own writing when it was just an off day. That's okay, I find myself constantly revising, even pieces that were complete

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you're back this year, Ellen. I've missed reading your slice of life stories.

    Your voice is always authentic and shines through in everything you write. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMAZING! I also have an incredibly smart, introverted and strongly opinionated first born going off to college this fall. Day One and already a cool connection made!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm excited to read your writing this month! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete