Thursday, March 19, 2015

Twenty Four Years is a Long Time

Do you rehearse what you are going to write for a blog entry?  I haven't been thrilled with my last few posts (too listy), therefore I've been expending much mental energy thinking about my next post.  This morning my thinking happened as I hopped into the car to head to a meeting.  Shifting into drive, a particular topic floated by, and I gasped (not that one!); mentally I chastised myself.  At some point I am going to have to write about this topic, and perhaps that writing will help with my thinking. But, do I want to put the topic down? I'm going to have a hard time "saying" it out loud - it will seem so final.  Here goes...

It is time for me to look for another job.

I love my school.  I started teaching here in 1991 - a young, fresh-out-of-school transplant to the state of Virginia. Teachers were a dime a dozen back then, so when a crazy part-time reading/part-time ESL drama teacher came open in this middle school, I practically camped at the principal's office with copies of my resume'.  I think she liked the fact that I had been a tour bus driver!  I got the job.

The following year I was moved to a position on a new "team," part of the implementation of the Middle School Model by the National Middle School Association.  Although I was elementary trained, I loved middle school students, seventh graders in particular.  Strange, right?  I was thrilled to be working with an interdisciplinary team of teachers - we learned so much from each other those first few years and we were so committed to our students and our teaching.  

Over the years I have held a few other positions, different grade levels of English instruction, program coordinator for a school-wide project, and most recently I was so fortunate to be hired as an Assistant Principal in this school.

So, why am I considering leaving after 24 years?  Being "raised" here has been awesome.  I have grown as a teacher, a leader, and a human being because of the wonderful colleagues (who became friends, who became family) that have mentored and supported me. People here have seen me through milestones and masters' degrees; breast pumps and graduations (well, in June) and the inevitable birthdays and passing of some of our Jefferson family members. I tremble to think of not being here in the fall, and the rituals and traditions that will continue on without me here. But, like my young son who is stretching his wings toward independence, perhaps it is time for me to stretch my wings, gather some new experiences, meet new people, and discover the way another school works.

This is good - really - this is the right time to consider this change.  But, it does make me gulp and tear up just a little bit.

4 comments:

  1. Contemplating change takes a lot of energy. You seem connected and invested. Best wishes whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change is so hard - especially a big one like this - but you have obviously been thinking about it for awhile, and I bet it ends up being awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so much to offer any school! On to new challenges and adventure ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Changing schools was one of the hardest transitions I've ever had to make. Ten years(?) later, I'm glad I did- if I hadn't I would not be the person I am today. "A little change will do you good."

    ReplyDelete