Sunday, March 2, 2014

Snow Mania

I was in denial - denial that the weather forecast was calling for lots more snow...I still may be...it's only raining.  That's why I enjoyed my day yesterday and didn't go to the store; instead, I joined the masses today racing into Safeway to purchase as much food as we possibly could.

The manic feeling that builds before a storm here in our area began as we entered the store and found not one cart or basket available...my husband and I exchanged glances, did we really want to do this?  Carts went by, piled high enough that you couldn't see the drivers, and I knew we were going to pay for our lack of preparedness.  Sure enough, overheard one Safeway employee say that the one thousand pounds of bacon that had been delivered Friday was mostly gone....I raced our cart over, of course, and grabbed a couple.  I was getting caught up in the hype.

After picking up wine and beer (which we are trying to cut back on...but if it was going to snow we wanted to have) we headed to the cash register...and the 45 minute wait to get through.  Really - did we need all of this stuff?

Yes - what if it goes on for days?  What if we are out of school for weeks?  What if, what if?

My mom always had a full cupboard - she was always prepared.  Well, now we are too.  If you need anything - toilet paper, bacon, pasta (it was on sale), call me.

9 comments:

  1. Rain is good, right? It is very cold in Central Kansas. And the snow is tapering off after a day of sleet, ice, snow mixtures and predicted low tonight of -9. I am ready for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha too funny. At least you are stocked up now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow here, too. I am so ready for spring! Looking forward to the days where we can enjoy beer and wine outside on the patio and not inside hunkered down due to the weather. Either way - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm giggling, Ellen! Same was true for us in the Midwest. And, if I can encourage you, we only received a quarter of the snow predicted. I, for one, am disappointed (and I realized that probably makes me part of the minority!). Enjoy the full cupboard -- it will keep you out of Safeway for days to come! b

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always by bacon when it snows! Why is that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, so true! My mom always has a pantry stocked full of goodies, and I open my pantry and see a couple boxes of hamburger helper and sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 45 minutes? Yikes! But you have accurately captured the craziness at the grocery store around storm time. We recently had a record amount of snow and I hadn't gone to the store because I was supposed to be gone on a trip. It was kind of interesting making due with what I had. I was quite surprised at how much was in my cupboards and it was definitely good for me to use some of what I had.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to laugh because I can totally relate....what a crazy year this has been. The wine and beer have become staples in my home this winter:-) Good thing spring is coming soon.....:-)

    ReplyDelete