Saturday, March 1, 2014

Feeling Glee

My favorite radio station was playing in the car the other day as my daughter and I headed to her dance practice.  Usually she plops down in the front seat and immediately reaches to change the station; today she must have been distracted because a Journey song came on and suddenly she  reached over, cranked the volume and proceeded to holler the words to "Don't Stop Believin."  Gleefully, I sang along, and when the song was finished I looked at Rebecca askance..."Really?  You like Journey?" I asked.

"Mom, I love Journey!" she replied, her face reflecting the "Mom, you are so behind the times" thoughts that I'm sure are running through her head. 

Where in the world had my fourteen year-old learned to love some of the same music that I do?  "Glee," she informed me.  "It's an awesome show!"

So, this evening I am sitting down to a Glee marathon - we have to get through the first season so that I can see the Madonna episode, as well as the episode that shows Bohemian Rhapsody.  But, the show will not only be musical fun...it is an intense (if exaggerated, I hope) look at a high school experience, and may open the door to conversations about choices, relationships, and fitting in.  

I'm looking forward to it!  

3 comments:

  1. I admit - I wholeheartedly love Glee. That Don't Stop Believing duet (I think from the first episode) is one of my favorite moments on the show. I get sad when I hear the song now because of Cory Monteith's untimely exit. More than just being about a fun show, of course, is your moment - a nice glimpse into the way in our relationships with our children may change we when get older, but the bonds don't go away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Music makes memories. That song (love Journey, it made me travel back in time just hearing their name) will forever hold the memory of a connection with your daughter in addition to the distant memory from your past. Enjoy watching and singing along with the show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, Glee is a winner in my book too.....My daughter, my niece and I have had some wonderful times singing "Sweet Caroline".....who'd have thought we'd be rockin' to a Neil Diamond song in this decade??? Gotta love a show that can give us those memories:-)

    ReplyDelete