Monday, March 10, 2014

Irish Magic

So, I'm Irish-American, and I've loved celebrating St. Patrick's Day on March 17th where ever my Army family was living at the time.  Since my daughter began Irish Step Dancing a few years ago, however, we are expected to celebrate St. Paddy's day all March-month long.  She and her dance troupe perform at what seems like any and all Irish celebrations in the Washington DC metropolitan area.Many occur at Irish pubs, a real bonus for dance parents!

This evening she participated in and then performed at a Catholic mass in Gaelic followed by an Irish Ceili (dance party).  I have to admit, I was dubious about sitting through a mass in the esoteric and vowel-laden Gaelic, but when another dance mom mentioned that the priest with the lilting Irish accent might sing and play the ukulele, I decided I'd stay.

Following along in the Gaelic mass book I was able to hear some of the words and follow along, sort of, but the collection of syllables and vowels that together combine into sounds I've never even imagined, made it extremely challenging.  I have to admit, I was totally engaged in the mass (perhaps more than I have been recently), and when, for the homily, the priest pulled out a poem by Seamus Heaney, I couldn't pull my eyes off of the alter.  Been a long time since that happened. It was magical - Pure Irish Magic.    

1 comment:

  1. Well, if there was a ukelele, I know why you couldn't pry yourself away. This sounds like one mass I could get into.

    ReplyDelete