Tuesday, March 4, 2014

An Unproductive Day

I had the option to telework today.  My original intent was to head to work once the day warmed up and  some of yesterday's snow had melted - but when it was still 17 degrees F. at 9:45 this morning, and the road outside was iced with frozen snow despite a plow having gone by twice, I made the executive decision (with the permission of my boss) to work from home.

At the rather civilized hour of 10:00 a.m. I pulled my computer out and hit the power button, looking forward to a quiet work day.  By 10:30 I had checked, deleted, and sent a few emails and I was feeling a little antsy. I reheated my cup of coffee, emptied the dish drainer and wiped down the counters...then forced myself back to the table.

I had discipline incidents to enter in my spreadsheet; I had observations to write up from classrooms I had visited; I had a report to craft analyzing discipline data and the success or failure of my follow up actions.  I was so bored.

Laundry called and as the minutes ticked by I decided that the sleeping teenager needed to be up as well. Was it lunchtime yet? Nope, only 11:12 a.m., I finished a leisurely breakfast two hours ago, so it wasn't time for lunch. As educators we have very little down time during our work day - even now, as an Assistant Principal, I find that there is little time that is not busy - I'm mediating between students, stopping into classrooms, monitoring students during lunch, cheering on students after school.

Today, at home, I had a hard time adjusting to the freedom to set my own priorities and ability to choose my own project.  Good thing these working snow days don't happen very often!

3 comments:

  1. It's hard to be an educator with educatees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laundry! You love doing laundry! Maybe we work in education because we know we'd be terrible work from home types.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good riddance to teleworking. I think we all miss our school day, our kiddos--eager to welcome back the routine.

    ReplyDelete