Thursday, March 10, 2011

Writer's block succumbs to the dentist's chair

What do you do when writer's block hits?

This evening I have:
-Cooked dinner - this is unusual - I don't cook
-folded three loads of laundry, and put them away
-exercised (!)
-cleaned the dust from between the keys on the keyboard of the computer
-helped my kids with their homework
-tried to solve a computer problem on my little netbook
-brainstormed a list of things I do when I have writer's block

I usually try to think about writing topics in the moment...for example, yesterday while I was sitting in the dentist's chair, tipped practically upside down, I was aware that I was experiencing a moment that might make an excellent slice.  While the drill whizzed and whined, and moisture sprayed across my face, I reminded myself to be aware of the details because these could be great fodder for my blog.  I even found myself rehearsing description of the noises, the pain, and the whole cleaning experience, as for the first time in many years, I found myself truly uncomfortable while having my teeth cleaned.

At one point, when the drill (is it a drill? It makes me think of one - but I didn't see it.  I think that she hid it from me when she was done) was grinding away at the plaque on my teeth, I could feel the pressure build - not quite pain, but a prelude to pain, and my eyes welled with tears.  Keeping them squeezed shut, I hoped that she would not notice.  Terrible thoughts ran through my head.  Why is this hurting me?  She didn't make anyone cry today, and as I'm the last customer, I win?  Perhaps they keep a running total of how many patients she made cry today (I know sometimes teachers do).  Maybe my teeth are dying - that's why it hurts so much today - I haven't been flossing and my teeth are all going to fall out.  

Despite my best effort, a tear must have overflowed my left eye; the zzzzah  zzzzah zzzzzing of the drill paused, and I braced, mouth open, waiting for the next instrument of torture to enter.   In a gesture that was totally surprising, a tissue gently patted my eye.

Then the zzzah zzzzah zzzzzzing began again.   

Writer's block, like the plaque on my teeth, has been brushed away.

4 comments:

  1. Wow--I was not expecting the ending. Your list of things you did to deal with your writer's block was great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I love the line when you ask the question about being the dentist's last customer. Not funny that you were in pain but it was such a funny line. Your slice has so much voice. Really enjoyed your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how tender the part about the tissue was! And I completely agree...the part of scraping the plaque is AWFUL!

    However, I always get the happy gas for my cleanings (makes them oh so much better) and even go on my birthday...sick, I know!

    I felt like I was there in the chair with you. Thanks for paying attention!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how much one can accomplish in an evening! Be proud of that list AND the description of the dentist. It made my teeth hurt, and I mean that as a compliment.

    ReplyDelete