Friday, March 11, 2011

Family Dog

She looks up at me with her big, brown eyes, her head tilts and her ears move forward as if she is truly listening to comprehend what I am saying.  I am reminded that her cute beagle face may express guilt or love, but the reality is she feels no remorse for peeing on the couch cushion, bolting out the door, or eating a stick of butter. 

From her resting position on the floor in front of the door, she puts her chin on her two front paws and blinks her eyes at me slowly, more alluring, I'm sure, than the most flirtatious of people.  Occasionally she will lift and tilt her head as if to say, "Won't you? Can't you? Please?"

As soon as any of her family walks near the door the body perks up - and if you reach for the leash she is bouncing at your feet, instantly.  Because she likes to run away we have carefully regimented our leaving-the -house routine.  One person will say, "I'm leaving" and another will grab Canela's collar to make sure she doesn't leave with you. 

When we adopted her two summers ago, we decided to take this full-grown dog with us on a two-week family camping trip.  Not having been a dog family member before, I really didn't know what to expect.  Most memorable was her time at the cabin by the lake.  A more idyllic setting couldn't exist:  log cabin, private lake front, quiet lake, shallow beach area, lovely pine trees.  The kids and I were swimming, Canela was on a leash sunning herself - until she wasn't...and only the blur of brown and white drew my attention up the private road.  Knowing that she runs like the dickens we clambered out of the lake (not gracefully), I grabbed a package of hot dogs from the fridge, and we jumped into the van.  Sighting her white tail tip ahead I floored it - and slowly we began to gain on her.  Soon we were neck and neck with the dog on a one-way dirt road.  Grasping one hot dog, I told my son to open the back door carefully.  Each of us was now poised for action.  At the straight away, Canela's body lengthened, and I realized she was just warmed up...leaning out the drivers'-side window I tossed that hot dog just as far up the road as I could, slammed on the brakes and yelled, "Jump on her Patrick."  Putting both arms around her, he hauled her 30 pound body into the car. Our saving grace is that Canela is more interested in the food than the chase - thank goodness.  A package of hot dogs is always available in my house! 

An escapade like this typically occurs about every sixth months.  It's almost like she is keeping us on our toes.  The rest of the time she is a wonderful family member, included in reading time and movie nights, safely tucked into her bed each night, and loved every day.

3 comments:

  1. What a hilarious, action-packed story! My favorite part is where Patrick has to jump out of the [recently] moving van to capture Canela... whoo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it! I have a Husky and have learned that you drop everything when she escapes or you'll have to wait by the phone. So fast! I giggled as I scrolled down the page...great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed out loud more than once reading your post! Very well written. I totally get this - I live with (and love) a chocolate lab/pointer mix who has the same personality. Thank you for making me smile after a very long week.

    ReplyDelete