Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Paradox

I'm a little excited that this weekend will be cold here again.  I admit, winter's lack of extended daylight had been wearing on me, so I was glad to see spring's sun in the morning on the way to school and again on the way home. Daffodils springing up, cherry trees blossoming, Mother Nature is finally awakening from her long sleep.  And, I'm glad...but, there is something about cold weather that I love and always miss when it's over: the opportunity to cuddle down into my own space and escape. 

While it has been quite warm here, tonight it is supposed to get down into the thirties...I know - some of you poor people still have snow - but that is cold for us in March!  So, feeling chilly this evening, I crept up into our addition's library, turned on the gas fireplace, climbed under a blanket and pulled out my book.  Somehow in cold weather it is more permissible to "cocoon" like I love to.  Surrounded by books on the walls and with piles of books by my side, I am able to escape to other worlds in the most comfortable way.

This whole weekend promises to be cold and possibly rainy, perhaps even some wintry mix (whoo hoo) thrown in. Because it will be yucky, outside work will be postponed, and inside work will be procrastinated.  In preparation, I will stock up on hot cocoa and tea, making sure that I have a few new books to read, and setting aside a few hours to enjoy the cozy and warm comfort of winter.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that this kind of weather is very very nice for staying inside with a book & a blanket. When spring & summer come, I will need to work outside, & feel guilty if I don't do more exercise than usual, etc. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you've gotten some good reading time in! The mulching can wait--enjoy that time by the fire.

    ReplyDelete