Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Perfect Thursday Night

I admire my friends who are, but I would never wish to be a single parent.  However, on the few occasions that the kids and I are home alone, we have a blast.  Tonight was really fun. 

As it is St. Patrick's Day, I decided to cook the Irish bangers in Guinness that Rebecca and I had taste tested at Trader Joe's.  Because I don't normally cook, this is a bigger deal than it may seem.  I listened to 80's music really loud on Pandora and made lots of dirty dishes, while Rebecca cleaned her room and Patrick finished his homework.  Then, we sat down for dinner - and the kids liked it!

At the end of dinner there was a little skillful negotiating of the evening schedule.  Apparently listening to such great music stimulated a desire to play a little Band Hero, so once showers and homework were completed...to the basement we went.

I have to say, I love Band Hero.  This game allows the inner singer in me - the one that sings along with almost every song - to be free.  The kids don't really care to sing, so I get to sing everything.  They also aren't very particular about the music that we play - so tonight we played a little American Pie and a little Pat Benetar (My favorite), as well as songs by AJ (Like Whoa) and All American Rejects.  We had so much fun. The kids switched off between guitar and drums, while I gripped my microphone and sang my heart out.  The high point of the evening for me was a score of 95% on Love is a Battlefield.  Fortunately, my husband wasn't home to hear me wailing about our relationship! 

As per another favorite song, the microphone does smell like a beer - I'm sure that's why I sounded better as the evening went on.  

Fed, showered, entertained - followed by a half hour of studying for tests...now they are in bed - and I'm headed there too. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it sounds like such fun, & you entertained us with all the details of a lovely evening. Maybe there's a second career in sight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do the same thing when my husband has a meeting in the evening. I usually make breakfast for dinner and we play some sort of board game. We actually play while we eat sometimes-- the kids love that.
    It sounds like you had a great night. And you captured it very well through your well chosen words. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete