Thursday, March 18, 2021

Stand-up, Anyone?

Today I had to acknowledge to seventh and eighth graders that the school day that they returned to doesn't feel normal - and it won't this year.  Because it was raining, we brought our kids into the auditorium for their "recess" time.  I beckoned the kids down to the front and then into the rows (separated by multiple seats and rows each).  As I walked to the front to grab the mic, the silence was deafening.  They knew to expect the desk shields, the social distancing, the hand sanitizer at every entrance; but, the reality of it was hitting them - and they had only been here for two classes.  

The eighth-graders, especially, expressed a loss of the unique freedom that they have lived with for the last 12 months.  For these guys - on the cusp of independence - coming to school was feeling very much like steps backward, and they didn't like it.  

Meanwhile, at each of our six recess periods, the kids stared at me...with trust, with suspicion, with curiosity, with doubt.  Oh, I'm in trouble. I'm going to have to up my entertainment game - because, me asking trivia questions to 50 kids in the auditorium, and tossing packages of Swedish fish at them for prizes, will lose its appeal quickly!  Let's hope Spring comes gently, and soon!  

Stand-up, anyone?  

4 comments:

  1. Six indoor recess periods! You are a brave soul and more power to you. This line holds so much truth- "The kids stared at me...with trust, with suspicion, with curiosity, with doubt." We are all feeling these mixed emotions during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might be time to start the lunch time talent show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, boy; that's some pressure there, but if anyone can communicate to the kids that their well-being is top first priority, it's you. I miss seeing you at the front of the auditorium with a mic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charades, anyone? Good luck, tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete