Wednesday, March 17, 2021

How's Your Stress?

Occasionally my husband and I watch a show while we are eating dinner.  In fact, we have a repertoire of shows that we watch that help distract from the day's work, including shows like The Mandalorian, Somebody Feed Phil, and Enterprise.  However, we just finished an episode of the Greatest British Baking Show (Italian Week) and I am distracted AND completely stressed out!  How am I going to sleep after watching that?  Tonight there were injuries, high temperatures, and devastating outcomes.  

I'd love more details about how this show actually works.  Matt and I observed that the contestants are often wearing the same clothes, leaving us to hypothesize that they are working on multiple challenges over the course of the day, and they all seem very familiar, even comfortable as if they have spent an extended period of time together.  

The other interesting thing is that we have heard Judge Paul ask contestants if they practiced the type of baking as they are discussing what the plan is for their dish.  Practice?  I pretty much thought these guys walked in off the street to do the contest.  Having said that - there are a few of the contestants that seem very calm and collected (professional perhaps) while others are a total disaster.  

Tonight Yan got eliminated - her pastries didn't laminate the way they should have.  I can't believe it. I'm devastated for her. (I now know what laminating means, in baking at least, by the way).  

And yet, her concession was so lovely - "I loved every minute," she said to Judge Pru.  

How for real is this show? And, who is the retired 80's rocker who announces who is going home?   

  


7 comments:

  1. I love this show with all its quirks!
    I don't know the answers to all of your questions, but I do know that the contestants are required to wear the same outfits even though each episode is filmed over two sequential days. During a normal season (not the one filmed during quarantine), filming takes place on the weekend, so the contestants go about their usual weekday lives...and practices since they know some details of the upcoming theme ahead of time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, another show I will need to watch! What does laminating mean in baking terms?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the perfect distraction for you! The frantic nature of the show certainly adds to the drama. (Think I’ll stick to Jeopardy and HGTV’s Hometown.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that show and have wondered about that "retired 80s rocker" myself. I also love how cool the Brits are when they lose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this show- I've watched every season. It's so zen, but it does always leave me craving baked goods... so a trade-off, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a family favorite for us too!

    ReplyDelete