Monday, March 19, 2018

Monday Blues

I wasn't my usual smiley self this morning, greeting the children as they got off the buses.  I could feel it - and I wasn't sure why.  Is it because it's the week before Spring Break?  Maybe...maybe it's just a Monday...

"Hi Olivia," I said, scrubbing my hands under the faucets in the Seventh Grade girls bathroom.  "How are you?"  Olivia is a bright, young assistant, former student in fact, that works in some of our classrooms. 

"Oh my gosh, I'm having a Monday," she replied, leaning forward in the mirror adjust her hair.  "I took my acrylic nails off this weekend and didn't replace them, without them I just don't feel myself.  And, I spilled my coffee this morning; see this coffee stain on my sweater?  It will be there all day!" she exclaimed. 

"I totally know what you mean," I responded, drying my hands on my skirt.  "I've got on a pair of tights that I swear must be my daughter's.  I'm going to be in the bathroom all day tugging, to make sure my tights don't fall.  You know that uncomfortable feeling, right?"

We smiled at each other. "Yep," she said.  "But, we can make it a great day, right?"

"We can!  Four days until spring break!  We can do anything!"

3 comments:

  1. Good luck getting through the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like my morning, even if they were metaphorical tights. We can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had a morning like that myself today, minus the tights, acrylic and bathroom talk. Made a point to change it when one of my regular students stopped to talk to me and said, "You look...sad." It wasn't an easy alteration to my mood, but a necessary one.

    ReplyDelete