Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Challenges and Changes

I'm giddy - my oldest comes home from college on Friday!  So looking forward to seeing him and observing how much he has grown and changed over the last months.

I remember my first summer home - I hadn't been that far away (in the same city, really) but I hadn't been home much at all.  I guess we go to college to have different experiences and "try on" new personas and such.  Well, I came home spewing the f word... it was just part of my regular speech in college, i'm embarrassed to admit now.  WTF?  No F-ing way!

Perhaps having younger children still at home (like 13 years younger than me) made my mom especially sensitive to my foul mouth.  She took care of my problem though.  One afternoon after one to many curse words, she grabbed my arm and marched me into the bathroom.

"Pick up that bar of soap," she said with frustration.  "Now, put it in your mouth and bite it! That'll help you remember to clean up your language around here."

I can still taste dial soap in my mouth - what a brutal and highly effective consequence.

I am anticipating that my Freshman's arrival home will bring some interesting challenges - hopefully he will be smarter than me.  But mostly, I'm just looking forward to see him.

1 comment:

  1. It's so fun to get to see your writing each Tuesday! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete