Monday, March 21, 2022

Traveling through Spain with My Daughter: Tapas...

Tapas...

I really wasn't sure what to expect of the food in Spain.  However, my daughter has spent the last nine months raving about her new favorite dinner: a glass of house red with a tapa side.  Her favorite tapa has become the croquetas de jamon - and her description of the crispy, deep-fried deliciousness with a melt in your mouth filling has left me drooling. 

On our first night in Malaga,  Rebecca walked us up and down narrow streets to examine the menus outside of (what felt like) hundreds of Tapas bars.  Finally, choosing one with lovely outdoor seating facing a stunningly lit cathedral, we relaxed into our chairs and let her place the order.  Glasses of red wine were followed by multiple small plates of delicious treats like: ensaladilla rusa -  chopped potatoes, eggs, and tuna, drizzled with creamy mayonnaise, garnished with fresh olives; a unique flat croquetas with a salty jamon (ham) flavor; and finally crunchy thin crackers with an Iberian cheese.  What a lovely celebration of our arrival.  

Every night in Spain we sought a different tapas bar, whether in Malaga, Ronda, or Granada.  And, each night we tried something a little different.  One of my favorites was eggplant  fries with honey - I am not an eggplant fan, but these were delicious.  And of course, we loved the traditional croquetas de jamon with the light and tantalizing aioli sauce.  In reflection, there are so many tapas that we didn't get to try - 

I'm going to have to go back.  :)


4 comments:

  1. Ah, this culinary adventure. Eggplant fries with honey? If you go back, I'm hiding in your suitcase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m actually drooling! (Well, just a little in my mouth.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice to see that the tables have turned and Rebecca is taking care of dinner decisions...although I'm sure you still paid the bill.

    ReplyDelete