Saturday, March 14, 2020

Playing with Marco Polo

In anticipation of being isolated for the next 4 weeks, one of my sisters hooked my siblings and I up with a new app - and I totally recommend it. 

Marco Polo is a video app that holds short videos that are shared with a group you set up.  This morning my sister sent us an intro video saying good morning and sharing her current view - of the Rocky Mountains at sunrise covered with snow!  Later she shared a video of footprints in the snow around her beautiful home... we were curious, then she told us those were BEAR footprints.  Apparently in Colorado the bears are coming out of hibernation, just as we head into our own sort of isolation.

Another sister sent us a quick video of her working from her adorable little apartment in San Fransisco, where she has set up a comfortable home office for the next few weeks.  We all panicked for her when she shared her completely empty, literally, nothing in it, refrigerator. Later she sent a video of her walking up to her gym for a work out - empty - she had the place to herself, not surprisingly.  She did have a backpack on so that she could pick up a few groceries while she was out.  Hopefully there will be more than wine available. 

My third sister sent a quick video of her kiddos saying good morning while she drank coffee in her pjs and bathrobe.   The kids showed us bookshelves of activities and books ready to go for the next few weeks - and this sister was full of good advice for my brother and his wife and their four children.  She's a silly one - so her next few videos were of her slurping her coffee or making weird faces just to make us laught. 

My (only) brother and youngest sibling sent multiple videos as his kids woke up and joined him in the morning coffee routine.  We had shy hellos from the first grader, and excited hellos from the one year old.  Later on my brother set the guideline that there could be no videos from the bathroom - and then little James sent us all a little video as he sat on his "potty."  With four kids under the age of 6, he will have no peace and quiet over the next month. 

I sent a few videos. I didn't like seeing myself on the screen - but I loved getting my kids in on the fun.  Our college-aged kiddos jumped in on sending their aunts, uncles and cousins greetings and smiles.  I do think this app will go a long way to keep us connected, especially in this crazy time of social distancing.  I recommend it. 

7 comments:

  1. Love it! You do a wonderful job recreating the warmth and comfort of your connection with your siblings.

    I am going to check that app out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, each scene shows the sense of fun and comfort you all have together. Thanks for the tip--this app sounds just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the app referral. It sounds like a great one to use with my grandkids,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technology is changing the way we connect. Your siblings all sound fun and unique in their own way, as it always is with family! Hurrah for Marco Polo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG this is so fun. What a great post and a visual way to keep connected with all the fun activities for this great PAUSE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I especially enjoyed the image of the bears in Colorado coming out of hibernation just as we go into isolation. But hopefully you won't feel nearly as isolated with this cool app!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to stay connected! Hopefully we will all find ways to stay focused and healthy. I enjoyed your warm and fun descriptions of your family.

    ReplyDelete