Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Sixth Grade Lunch on a Rainy Day

We have continued to maintain outside lunch for students, and about half of our sixth graders typically eat outside.  As I marched down the stairs to the cafeteria and then on the Plaza, ready to supervise lunch, I noticed large groups of students bringing their lunch back inside.  "It's freezing, today," they shared with me, "and starting to rain."  When I got out to the Plaza (our "backyard" space with tables for students) it had begun to sprinkle in earnest and even more students were migrating towards shelter.  

Once the movement had settled I glanced around and one lone gray umbrella, with two sixth grade girls perched side by side beneath it, remained sitting out in the rain.  Both girls had their knees pulled up and braced against the table, and they were happily digging around in their lunchboxes.  As I walked over, they both looked up and grinned at me. "Ms. E. Smith, we are fine...we aren't getting wet - honestly.  Can we stay here?"  

I couldn't resist the joy in their faces. I let them sit there, in the rain, eating their lunches, perfectly gleeful that they were in the rain and adamant that they were not getting wet.  

Sixth graders have so much joy!

6 comments:

  1. Oh this makes me miss teaching 6th grade! I love the way you described them sitting in the rain. I bet they will remember that lunch for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how nice that you let them stay there in their own happy umbrella world! This slice definitely shows the sweet side of 6th graders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder that it’s not the rain— it’s how we react to the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love teaching sixth grade too. And this is a magical image of two girls capturing joy! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one of the best things about being a teacher. We get a chance to make and be a part of some of our students greatest memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right? Why not allow them the moment to simply enjoy the rain and each other?

    ReplyDelete